Friday, October 23, 2009

Feeling Tiny

Our Wednesday night small group just watched the Louie Giglio video, Indescribable. In this video, Louie shows us just how far away and how powerful some planets, stars and galaxies are in the universe. It was incredible to think just how small our planet is compared to the universe, let alone just how tiny we are as humans compared to the universe. Louie made a comment that it would take all the gross national product of all the states like millions of years for us to power the sun for 1 second. How about that? Stop and think for a moment about that. Amazing, huh? This was the second time that I watched this video and yet, although I knew some images were coming, they reached a closer part of my heart than when I watched it the first time.

I am currently reading a book called Crazy Love, by Francis Chan. I am about half way through. It has been a very convicting, yet inspiring book. It has me questioning just who God is to me and how I view Him, as well as my love for Him. I brought up the Indescribable video because Chan has on his website a little clip also using astrological concepts to show just how big our God is. You can view it at http://www.crazylovebook.com/ and go to the "Awe Factor" You will be amazed at what you see.

I wanted to share some highlights on chapter 1 that left a lasting impression on me. On page 27 of the book (which you can also read on his website), Chan goes through different things throughout the earth that only God could have created; not some explosion. I am only typing a couple of them, so I encourage you to go to his website to read all of them!

An average elm tree has approx. 6 million leaves on it
Your own heart pumps enough blood throughout your body that is could squirt up to 30 feet
There are hundreds of different kinds bananas
Coral plants are so sensitive that they can die if the water temperature varies by one or two degrees
Goosebumps actually help you to stay warmer by trapping in your body heat


"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world." Psalm 19:1-4



Chan tells us that God is Holy, God is eternal, God is all-knowing, God is all powerful, and God is fair and just (even when we don't see it). "God never excuses sin. Whenever we start to question whether God really hates sin, we have only to think of the cross, where His Son was tortured, mocked and beaten because of sin. Our sin" Page 34. Think about just how big God is; that is how much God loves us too and He truly cares when we sin - it hurts Him like we hurt our mom's and dad's when we disobey. This chapter and the video both have me thinking about my significance in life. Everything that I do in life is so insignificant when you think about how HUGE God is compared to us. Just how big the sun is compared to the earth, and so forth. It is like almost contradicting of itself, because there are things in life that I can do, like spread the word of God, or invite a friend to church, that are very significant to God, but when you sit back and think about how puny our lives are and that we are but a vapor on God's timeline, that significance is really shrunken down quite a bit! How Humbling!!!

Tell me your thoughts - please. I am interested to see how you view God and how you love Him!

No comments: